The UBC MAA Student Leadership Award recognizes and honours two medical students, one student in Year 1 or 2 and one student in Years 3 or 4, in the UBC MD undergraduate program, who demonstrate excellence in leadership by engaging and guiding others in promoting a responsible and evolving medical student community and/or health care system.
Each recipient of the award will be presented with $500 to be used towards tuition.
Congratulations to our 2020 Student Leadership Award Recipients:
Rohit is a second year MD/PhD student. Supervised by Rob Rohling and Chris Nguan, his research focuses on developing intelligent ultrasound for the early identification of chronic kidney disease. He serves as a student affairs representative, and has previously held roles such as an journal editor, medtech hackathon director, radio show host, and football coach. Rohit is thankful for the MAA Student Leadership award, and the Medical Alumni Association for their generosity.
Vivian is a fourth year medical student at the Vancouver Fraser Medical Program. Through her medical school journey, she has held a variety of positions to promote the positive evolution of the medical student community. Through her work at the Center for Health Education Scholarship, she investigated students’ ability to transfer learning and discovered testing techniques to facilitate application of learned materials. She was the past student Senator for the Faculty of Medicine and relays the voice of medical students to university leadership. Outside of UBC, she was one of ten medical students nation-wide selected to brainstorm priorities for the 2019 federal election for the Canadian Medical Association and spoke on physician gender pay gaps at the International Federation of Medical Students Association in Slovenia. She leads a National paediatrics initiative and serves on the Board of Directors of various Canadian clinical trial and research groups. Vivian is committed to improving systems both within and beyond the medical student community and has hopes to dedicate her life to improving healthcare accessibility and reducing social inequalities for vulnerable population groups.
- Nominator must be a current student in the UBC MD undergraduate program
- Nominee must be a current student in the UBC MD undergraduate program
- Student demonstrates responsibility for their medical student community and the health care system
- Student engages others in creating proactive initiatives or inclusive events for the enhancement of the medical community and/or improvement of health care
- Student is dedicated to the building of relationships to ensure a cohesive professional community
- Student mentors and supports fellow students to create a culture of openness and foster a compassionate environment
- Student inspires and encourages people within medicine and/or across disciplines to collaborate towards common goals benefiting their community and beyond
Step 1: Complete a nomination form and save a copy.
Step 2: E-mail the nomination form to email@example.com.
Nominations for the 2021 Student Leadership Award will open in early 2021.
The MUS Council selects the finalists and the UBC MAA Board of Directors select the award recipients thereafter.
Should you have any questions about the nomination process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.