Enthusiasm is contagious, and the example you and your committee set will make the difference. Classmates who are not contacted personally by a committee member are unlikely to attend — there’s no substitute for personal contact. The strength of your team will build commitment from many of your classmates.
Planning is the key to an exciting and memorable reunion. Here is a short list of the steps to take when you are planning your reunion:
Contact the Faculty of Medicine Alumni Affairs office
Call the Kira Davis, Alumni Engagement Manager at 604-875-4111 ext 67741 or email at email@example.com and let her know you are planning a reunion.
- Strike a Committee
Enlist classmates who have a strong interest in planning the best reunion possible.
- Set a date
Select a date that is likely to be convenient for the largest number of people and that doesn’t conflict with other major events being held on campus or in the city. **A good idea is to send out a Save the Date notice to classmates as soon as you set a date. A follow up email/mailing can come later as reunion plans shape up.
- Estimate attendance
Our experience shows that small classes have a 50% or better turnout from the Lower Mainland, and 25 – 30% from elsewhere. On average, 75% of those who come will bring a guest.
- Book a venue - We can assist with finding an appropriate venue for your reunion. The Medical Student & Alumni Centre is available for use for reunions. There are also countless locations both on and off campus.
We can assist in booking tours of Vancouver or the UBC Campus. You can include a round of golf, family friendly beach get together, informal brunch or lunch, a wine and cheese reception, a formal dinner either downtown or on campus, or something else completely unique!
Once you have decided on a venue and reunion activities, you can start a draft budget. We are able to assist with this and can advise on items you may have overlooked. Reunions operate on a break even basis
- Class Gift
- Leave a class legacy as part of your reunion!
- Some classes decide to raise funds for student scholarships or bursaries or for a research project at UBC. You can also collect funds in memoriam of a classmate. Our office can set up a meeting with a development colleague who can discuss all the options available.
- Plan accommodations
We have established relationships with various hotels in town and can work with our contacts to secure a great discounted rate for your classmates.
- Invite special guests
Class members who have gone on to high-profile positions can give keynote addresses or act as a “class historian.” Other special guests, such as favourite professors or other university personnel, should be contacted well in advance. Our office can assist you with this.
- Identify other needs
Some of your classmates may require handicapped access or have special dietary needs. You may also wish to have prizes or issue some commemorative merchandise at your reunion. Discuss these and other considerations well in advance.
- Create a registration form (either online or mailed version).
The alumni office can assist in creating an online registration form that classmates can use visa or mastercard to register for the reunion. A mailed registration form is also a good option for classmates who you may not have an up to date email address for.
- Send out reminder email to classmates encouraging them to register for the reunion
- Choose menu options at venues if not already done
- Check in with Alumni office. Request alumni pins/swag items, if available.
- Confirm with vendors timing of events/tours
- Collect any memorabilia to be shown at reunion (slideshow, photos, yearbook etc).
- Give final catering numbers to vendors. *Include any special dietary requests
- Send out reunion itinerary reminder to reunion registrants
- Request nametags from alumni office if required